Weather in Tanzania
Overview of Weather in Tanzania, highlighting the varying climate in Tanzania, the best weather for Tanzania safaris, essentials items to pack in Tanzania climate, best time to travel to Tanzania for African Safaris.
Weather in Tanzania despite it's regional variations remains favorable tropical climate all year round good for venturing Tanzania safaris.
Tanzania's climate has two rainy seasons; the long rains starts during the months of March to May where heavy tropical rainfalls are often experienced in the afternoons. The onset of short rains in Tanzania weather calendar occurs during the months of November to December. Short rains are much lighter than the main rains and less reliable.
The long hot and dry spells are experienced for four straight months starting from June to October with hardly any rainfall experienced. This is the most ideal time to visit Tanzania for African holiday vacations. It's during this period that the most dramatic wildebeest and zebra start to migrate into Kenya's Masai Mara National park.
The ideal time to attempt climbing Mount Kilimanjaro is during August to October and January to March. Wildlife watching safaris are excellent almost all year around except for the April to May rainy season.
The climate on the islands is tropical, but the heat is tempered by sea breezes that are constant throughout the year, except during the rainy seasons. The seasons are well defined. From December to March, when the northeast monsoon blows, it is hot and comparatively dry. The heavy rains fall in April and May.
Essentials items to pack in relation to Tanzania weather conditions and its influence on Tanzania's Safaris.
- Light cotton tops and cotton trousers/shorts in summer, hat/ cap and light shoes
- Long-sleeved blouses/shirts for game drives/ boat cruises, which will protect you from mosquitoes and the sun
- Safari trousers, jeans or casual pants for evenings and cooler days. A fleece or sweater is required for those cool winter evening and mornings
- A hat, sunglasses and sunscreen (a tanning lotion and a high factor sunscreen for your face, neck, feet and hands
- Sandals, open shoes
- Comfortable walking shoes, sandals for when swimming in the Lake Victoria
- Camera film, extra memory cards and batteries.